How to Purchase a Firearm

How Do I Purchase A Firearm?

For Recreation, Hunting, Competition, or defensive purposes, firearm ownership is growing exponentially, especially among both women and families. Although we highly recommend conversing with your UPA Instructor regarding firearm purchased specific to your desires and needs: here are some answers to the most common questions we receive regarding how to purchase firearms in the state of Michigan.

Do I need to register my guns?

Handguns yes, Long guns no.

There is no required firearms registration in the United States of America, but in Michigan, if it is considered to be a handgun by the overall length or design; the MSP may require the purchaser to complete and register with local and state law enforcement a “Pistol Sales Record: RI-060”.  We can help you with that form when you make the gun transfer with us.   Since UPA Range is a licensed federal firearms dealer (FFL), you will first need to fill out BATF form 4473 when you transfer your Internet Purchased firearm at UPA We are required by law to retain these forms for 20 years, but they are never released to a government agency except as part of a criminal investigation involving a specific gun identified through the manufacturer by serial number.

Do I need a permit to purchase?

Only to buy a handgun, not for long guns (rifle or shotgun).

To UPA to transfer a hand gun in Michigan from your internet gun dealer, you need these things:

current, valid MI state issued form of identification such as a driver’s license,  be 21 years of age or older and be the person who has purchased the gun.

We will supply the Handgun Pistol Sales Record or  Purchase Permit for handguns (usually good for the purchase or more handguns).

To purchase a long gun the process is the same except you do not need to complete a Pistol Sales Record.

Note: For all firearm transfers, you must pass a US government background check at the time of purchase and compete BATF Form #4473. This is performed by phone by the UPA through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) at the time of the transfer interview in person, unless you possess a valid MI concealed carry permit; which will be used as a substitute for the criminal background check. Bring it with your Driver’s License or State ID at the time of the Transfer Interview.

UPA frequently offers the MI Concealed Carry Handgun Permit Class. Click here for our training schedule.

Can I buy a gun to give to someone else?

Yes and No.

There’s no Federal Law or MI law that prohibits a gift of a firearm to a relative or friend that lives in your home state, if that person is otherwise able to legally possess firearms.

Note: don’t forget that you can never under any circumstances transfer a firearm to someone you know — or have reasonable cause to believe — legally can’t own one. That’s a federal felony, so be careful. Never agree to purchase a gun for someone you don’t know. That’s called a “straw purchase”.

The BATF and UPA reserve the right to deny, for any reason, at any time, without explanation, the sale of transfer of any firearms to any individual. At such time, the firearm would be returned to the original FFL Dealer of the transfer at the sole expense of the Transferee.

If you have any additional questions regarding the firearms purchasing process in the state of Michigan, you can contact us here at Ultimate Protection Academy at [email protected] or call us at (586) 286-SAFE.